Mast Rake Cut Out Advice.

Chris Davies posted this 27 March 2012

Hi,

I'm looking to cut out the mast track out the mast slot so I can increase my mast rake. Any advice? Its a M7 on a Severn.

Thank You in advance.

Chris

PS: Registration in the post.

8 Comments
Order By Standard | Newest | Votes | All
Pete Mitchell posted this 27 March 2012

Make sure you cut out in the right place...

Chris Davies posted this 27 March 2012

Haha, last time someone said that to me I was about to prune an Apple tree. We don't have an apple tree anymore!

Will Loy posted this 27 March 2012

I would'nt cut anything out of an M7, the section is different from the D+ and you may find it creases at that point under load.

Adrian Howse posted this 27 March 2012

At the Dinghy Show Ian Pinnell advised me that cutting away the mast track of my M7 would work well. He added that the section for an M7 is different to a D+ so it is not possible to cut quite as much of the track away. I chickened out. With my unmodified mast set at max rake I still have to slacken off the kicker before each tack. Please, please do take advice from Superspars before doing anything drastic!

I hear that the trend towards more mast rake is leading sailmakers to reconsider the design of their sails. I hope we don't end up like the Contenders having to limbo under the boom.

Chris Davies posted this 28 March 2012

Hi,

So I spoke to Andy @ Superspars today and he says....

That it is fine to cut the track out on an M& providing you don't take too much. He does it for customers on request and has one client who requests it as standard.

The mast has a U shaped web that forms the mast track on the rear of the mast - think Ooc all joined up where O is the main mast section o is the web and c is the track. You must not cut into the Oo part of the mast.

His recommendation to me was 2 fold:

1) If I decided to cut the mast track out. wrap a tape measure around the mast and remove a maximum 9/10mm measured from the edge of the track around the circumference. He said mark off points along the length opposite the collar, drill 5mm holes and then joined it up with a hacksaw. Tidy up with a file.

2) Notch the mast foot and push the mast forward at that point instead.

Of course if anyone decides to do it on the basis of these instructions - it wasn't me and you do so at your own risk. I think I'm going to look at the foot option first.

Chris

Tim Deacon posted this 28 March 2012

Another 'trick' is to sleeve the lower mast with a tube say to the gooseneck. This gives you a reinforcement locally where the cut out is. As for sail leech length... well I don't like my boom in the water too much so mine might be shorter than some. But again my heel is 30mm lower than most FRP boats. Also my mast heel is around 3050-3055 from transom. I did need to cut the track on both masts I've tried, but got a reasonable balance in the end. I know that with the old sail measurement my leech was 25mm shortof max - well now its 100mm with the new measurement.

I suspect some difference in the CLR (ie c/board) position is causing the requirement for the heel to be further forward ie from 3060+. It is possible to move this easily with a wooden/sheathed board and slightly more difficult with a foam one. It also depends on the case position.

Gerald Whitehead posted this 07 April 2012

Hi Chris, Thanks for finding out this information, I have just started using a superspar M7 and was unsure on cutting some away, knowing that it can be done without weakening the mast (if done right) is of great help. Cheers Oliver Whitehead S4876

Simon Verrall posted this 03 December 2016

Did any of you take the plunge and cut out the mast track on your M7? Fascinated to know if it makes a difference - I have hacksaw ready... :-)

So I spoke to Andy @ Superspars today and he says....

That it is fine to cut the track out on an M& providing you don't take too much. He does it for customers on request and has one client who requests it as standard.

The mast has a U shaped web that forms the mast track on the rear of the mast - think Ooc all joined up where O is the main mast section o is the web and c is the track. You must not cut into the Oo part of the mast.

His recommendation to me was 2 fold:

1) If I decided to cut the mast track out. wrap a tape measure around the mast and remove a maximum 9/10mm measured from the edge of the track around the circumference. He said mark off points along the length opposite the collar, drill 5mm holes and then joined it up with a hacksaw. Tidy up with a file.

2) Notch the mast foot and push the mast forward at that point instead.

Of course if anyone decides to do it on the basis of these instructions - it wasn't me and you do so at your own risk. I think I'm going to look at the foot option first.

Chris

Disclaimer: The National Solo Class Association disclaims any liability with respect to content in the blogs and forums areas of this web site. The opinions expressed by users in these postings are not necessarily the opinions of the Association or it's committee.