righting line attachment

Ian Mcdonald posted this 09 November 2015

I would like to avoid using bolts to fix the deck eyes under the thwart- just for cosmetics on my Miles

will a pair of 1 inch 10 gauge cap head stainless screws be ok each side?

7 Comments
Order By Standard | Newest | Votes | All
Ian Mcdonald posted this 13 November 2015

thought the lack of response was (unexpected) lack of interest- have forgotten that the majority of boats are frp and you dont have an option to bolts

am going to try the screws and see if I am strong enough to pull them out if fixed into an epoxy lining on the pilot holes

John Hanton posted this 13 November 2015

Hi Ian, Sorry you have had no replies, never fitted righting lines on mine so not much of an expert. Would think that stainless steel 10's would be pretty tough especially if epoxied in, may be tricky to remove if you need the out but a little heat on the heads could help. For firm attachments through wood I have used countersunk bolts covered with wooden plugs to match but then none of my woodwork has probably been as nice as a Miles. Don't know if there is a way to attach them under the thwart instead, then of course the they would be pulling across the screws rather than trying to pull them out. Best wishes, John

Bill Brockbank posted this 14 November 2015

I'll look at my Miles righting lines tomorrow and report further. In case you're in a rush, here are some hints. There's very little strain on the righting lines. You full weight is on the centreboard, you use the lines just to get into position. Use 'modern' stainless screws with parallel sides and full length threads. NOT the old fashioned screws with a triangular profile and thread for only ⅔rds of their length. The latter, for the same length and gauge, provide less grip and force the wood apart.

Bill Brockbank S4287

Ian Mcdonald posted this 15 November 2015

thanks guys!

Bill Brockbank posted this 15 November 2015

My Miles has the righting lines attached to lacing eyes under the gunwale perhaps 200mm forward of the thwart, each held by two pan head screws 16mm long by 4mm external diameter. And I used to capsize a lot.

Bill Brockbank

Roger Gravatt posted this 15 November 2015

Interesting ! I have always placed my lines in line with the middle of the thwart. Also, I have found that standing on the centreboard digs the lower gunwhale into the water, causing the boat to take on a lot of water as it comes upright. I stay in the water and pull the boat upright using my arms - of course it does float higher making it more difficult to climb in. Roger Gravatt S4528

Paul Dowman posted this 23 December 2015

Test comment from Admin [ignore]

Disclaimer: The National Solo Class Association disclaims any liability with respect to content in the blogs and forums areas of this web site. The opinions expressed by users in these postings are not necessarily the opinions of the Association or it's committee.